Connect with us

Local News

Tyler Hawes, a Fargo police officer, narrates what happened after the tragic officer-involved incident on July 14



Fargo, North Dakota – A videotaped interview between Tyler and Madison Hawes following the July 14th, earlier this year, officer-involved shooting that became fatal is being made public by the City of Fargo.

“My life will never be the same and I will never be the same person as the day of the shooting. But you can either let that hinder you or you can take it for what it is.”

Following the approximately 20 rounds fired by the now deceased suspect Mohamad Barakat from a nearby parked vehicle, four police, including Officer Tyler Hawes of the Fargo Police Department, arrived on the scene. Three people were injured in the shooting: Hawes, Officer Andrew Dotas, and bystander Karlie Koswick. A third Fargo Officer, Jake Wallin, died as a result of his wounds.

According to authorities, Barakat most likely planned to attend the current Fargo Street Fair to commit a large-scale casualty incident.

First responders quickly attended to Hawes and Dotas at the shooting scene while Officer Tyler Robinson and firefighters at the crash site rushed to administer first aid. Sanford Medical Center was the destination for Hawes and Dotas.

While they were still in the hospital, the two also participated in a pre-recorded interaction with the community at Officer Wallin’s celebration of life event.

Officer Hawes underwent 14 procedures during his 24-day hospital stay. Madison Hawes, Tyler’s wife, spent 24 nights a night in a neighboring hospital bed while seeing her husband as much as possible. After that, Hawes had daily home visits from a nurse for a month to aid in his recuperation. All the same, Hawes can’t help but think back on that day.

“It’s not something that stops when you leave, it’s something that I will live with for the rest of my life, every single day,” said Hawes,” It’s something that you go through [that’s not easy] but it’s something that’s worth fighting for because it’s my life.”

Officer Hawes expressed his gratitude to the public for their support, but he also praised the kindness and helpfulness of the staff at the Sanford Medical Center and his colleagues in the Fargo Police Department.

“I want people to know that I am thankful. I’m thankful to be alive,” said Hawes, “I want people to be grateful for what they have in their life… When someone asks me how I’m doing, [I say] ‘you know, still walking with two feet.’ I’m grateful for that.”

In interviews conducted behind closed doors, Officers Andrew Dotas and Zach Robinson both addressed the Fargo Police Department and the Fargo Communication Team.