North Dakota’s interim State Health Officer has resigned. Governor Doug Burgum made the announcement at Wednesday’s weekly COVID-19 press briefing at the State Capitol in Bismarck.
Dr. Andrew Stahl, who had been named the interim State Health Officer on June 1, will resign, effective on August 31. Burgum says Stahl intends to return to clinical practice, while maintaining his Medical Corps Officer credentials in the United States Army. Stahl has served as an officer in the North Dakota Army National Guard’s Medical Corps since 2009, currently holding the rank of major. As a member of the Guard’s COVID-19 Task Force since March, he had been providing strategic medical analysis for North Dakota’s COVID-19 response efforts.
In a letter obtained by Flag Family Media News, Stahl calls the job a “very challenging and rewarding position.”
The search for Stahl’s replacement is underway. The permanent State Health Officer position will be posted soon, Burgum said.